Badami Paneer Recipe – Rich, delicious and easy gravy or curry made with Indian cottage cheese, almonds and spices. Goes best with rice or Indian flatbreads.
What is Badami Paneer?
Badami Paneer is an Indian curry or side dish. It is nothing but marinated paneer or Indian cottage cheese cooked in rich almond gravy. This curry is one of the easy paneer recipes that can be whipped in 30-35 minutes. I always love the quick paneer recipes to try on busy days and Badami Paneer is one of the favorites along with Paneer Capsicum Stir Fry, Shahi Paneer and Paneer Palak Bhurji.
We can serve this paneer curry with any Indian flatbread such as roti, chapati, naan, butter naan and ragi roti. This goes best with plain rice, jeera rice and matar pulao.
If you are looking for more Indian side dish recipes for rice or roti, check the below recipes.
More Curry Recipes on the blog:
- Punjabi Aloo Beans
- Mushroom Matar Butter Masala
- Soya Chunks Masala
- Aloo Rassawala Shaak
- Aloo Palak
- Mushroom Pepper Fry
- Baingan Bharta
How to Make Badami Paneer Recipe below:
Badami Paneer Recipe
- 1 cup Paneer Cubes
- 20 Almonds
- ½ cup Tomato Puree
- ½ cup Onion
- 1 inch Ginger piece
- 1 tsp Garlic
- 2 tbsp Milk
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- ½ tsp Coriander Powder
- ½ tsp Cumin Powder
- ¾ - 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- ⅛ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 5 tbsp Oil
- Soak almonds in hot water for 15 minutes.
- Grind the soaked almonds, chopped onions, ginger, garlic and red chillies to a smooth paste and set aside.
- Marinate the paneer cubes with ½ tsp chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt and keep it aside for few minutes.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan and fry the marinated paneer cubes for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Keep them aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a pan and add the ground almond and onion paste.
- Fry the almond paste for 5 minutes or until the oil separates from the mixture.
- Add the tomato puree and combine well.
- Add the garam masala, cumin powder, coriander powder, salt, sugar and red chilli powder to it and mix well.
- Let it cook over a medium flame for 10 minutes or until the oil separates from the masala.
- Add the prepared paneer cubes and combine them.
- Now add milk and mix until well combined.
- Turn off the flame and serve hot with roti.
Badami Paneer Curry Recipe with Step by Step Photos:
- Start the preparation with soaking almonds in some hot water for about 15 minutes.
- To prepare the almond gravy, grind the soaked almonds, red chillies, chopped onion, ginger and garlic to a smooth paste. Keep it aside till use.
- Chop the paneer into small cubes and marinate them with salt, turmeric powder and ½ tsp chilli powder. Let it sit for few minutes before you roast them.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a wide non-stick pan. Add the marinated paneer cubes and fry them for a minute or two.
- Remove them from the pan and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil and add the prepared almond-onion paste.
- Saute the almond paste for 5 minutes or until the oil separates from the mixture.
- When the oil is separated from the ground masala paste, add the pureed tomato to it.
- Then add the salt, chilli powder, garam masala, cumin powder, coriander powder and sugar to the gravy.
- Mix well and let the gravy cook on a medium flame for about 10 minutes or until the oil separates from the gravy.
- When it is done, add the prepared paneer cubes to the gravy and mix together.
- Now add milk and combine. This is an optional step.
- You can also substitute the milk with cream or yogurt.
- If you want the thinner consistency, add a little water to the gravy while cooking.
- Remove it from the heat and serve hot with rice or roti.