Kumbilappam Recipe – Sweet, warm, healthy and delicious dumplings!
Kumbilappam is a traditional sweet snack from Kerala Cuisine. They are nothing but steamed sweet dumplings flavored with bay leaf. There are a different kind of traditional kumbil appams such as banana kumbilappam and jackfruit kumbilappam or chakka kumbilappam. They can also be made with wheat flour. It is also known as Therali Appam and taste great when served warm with coffee or tea.
Few More Traditional Recipes on the blog:
- Karumbu Chaaru Pongal
- Sweet Ammini Kohukattai
- Kayi Holige
- Instant Appam
- Talalele Modak
- Til Modak
- Vazhakka Thoran
- Palakottai Kootu
How to Make Kumbilappam Recipe Video below:
Traditional South Indian steamed banana dumplings made with banana, rice flour, coconut and jaggery.
- ½ cup Rice Flour
- ⅓ cup Jaggery
- ¼ cup Mashed Banana
- ¼ cup Grated Fresh Coconut
- 1 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1 tsp Ghee
- Fresh or Dry Bay Leaves as needed
- 3 tbsp Water
- Combine jaggery and water in a saucepan and melt the jaggery.
- Take the measured rice flour in a mixing bowl. Add coconut, cardamom powder and mashed banana to it.
- Pour melted jaggery syrup through a strainer to get rid of any impurities.
- Mix well to make a dough.
- Add a teaspoon of ghee to the dough and combine.
- Take a clean bay leaf and shape it into a cone. Secure it with a stick or toothpick.
- Fill the leaf cone with the prepared dough. Repeat the process.
- Add a bay leaf in the steaming water.
- Transfer the filled cones to the steamer plates or idli plates and steam cook for 10-15 minutes on a high flame.
- When they are done, remove from the heat and serve warm with coffee or tea.
Steaming time will depend on the size of the dumplings. Use dry bay leaves if you don't find the fresh ones. Add more water or rice flour to adjust the dough consistency. You can also use banana leaves but the flavor won't be same
Calories: 30kcalCarbohydrates: 6gProtein: 1gFat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 1mgPotassium: 14mgFiber: 1gSugar: 3gVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 1mgIron: 1mg
Nutrition values are estimates only.
Tried this recipe?Mention @iamharichandana or tag #blendwithspices!
Leave a Reply