Chocolate Stuffed Gulab Jamun with instant Mix – Super easy and delicious fusion dessert recipe
What is chocolate gulab jamun?
Gulab Jamun is a traditional Indian dessert, which is deep-fried khoya (milk solid) dumplings soaked in cardamom-infused sugar syrup. Chocolate gulab jamun is a fusion and innovative variation that is made with instant gulab jamun mix and stuffed with chocolate chips. I have made this without khoya but you can also follow the traditional way and stuff them with chocolate chips.
Can I use dark chocolate instead of chocolate chips?
Yes, dark chocolate would work well. Just stuff the dough balls with a small piece of dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate.
How long can I store them?
They keep well at room temperature for 2-3 days. If you want to store them for a longer period, store in the refrigerator for a week.
How to make gulab jamuns without breaking?
Gulab jamuns break for many people especially when they make with instant mixes. Follow the below tips to make them perfect every time.
- The dough should be soft and smooth.
- Roll the dough balls without any crackers. They should be smooth on top.
- Always deep fry them over a low flame until they become dark brown color.
- If you fry them to a golden brown color, they will break after adding to the syrup.
- The sugar syrup ratio is very important. Jamuns will be too soft and mashed if you add more water than needed. The perfect water and sugar ratio is 1:1
Serve them chilled or warm with a scoop of ice cream. Ice cream is completely optional but some people like that combination.
They are perfect to serve on during festivals such as Holi, Diwali, Rakhi or any occasion.
If you are looking for more Indian sweet recipes then do check the below recipes.
Few More Indian Dessert Recipes on the blog:
- Microwave Besan laddu
- Mawa Besan Ladoo
- Puran Poli
- Kesar Peda
- Pineapple Kesari
- Aval Payasam
- Paneer Murki
- Sweet Poha Chivda
How to make chocolate stuffed gulab jamun recipe below:
Chocolate Stuffed Gulab Jamun Recipe
- 200 grams Instant Gulab Jamun Mix
- ¼ cup Chocolate Chips or as needed
- 3 cups Sugar
- 3 cups Water
- ¼ tsp Cardamom Powder
- Oil for deep frying
- Milk as needed
- Almonds or Pistachios for Garnish
- Take the instant gulab jamun mix powder in a mixing bowl.
- Add milk little by little and gently mix to make a smooth and soft dough.
- Cover and set aside for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile combine the cardamom powder, sugar and water in a wide vessel and let the sugar dissolves completely.
- Let the syrup to a boil for 7 – 8 minutes. Turn off the flame. Cover and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
- Meanwhile, divide the dough into small balls.
- Stuff the each with few chocolate chips and make round and smooth balls without any wide cracks
- Do not apply too much pressure while making the balls.
- When the oil is hot (not smoking hot) enough to fry the gulab jamuns, reduce the flame to low.
- Slowly drop the prepared dough balls into the oil and deep fry them until dark brown color.
- Do not overcrowd, fry a few at a time.
- Keep rolling the jamuns while frying for even browning.
- Take the fried jamuns out of the oil and add them to the hot sugar syrup. If needed, heat the sugar syrup again before adding the fried jamuns to it.
- Let them soak in the sugar syrup for an hour or two.
- Garnish with chopped nuts and serve chilled.