Kadai Mushroom Recipe – A simple and flavorful Indian gravy curry made with mushrooms, bell peppers and freshly ground spices.
What is Kadai Mushroom?
Kadai Mushroom is a simple and flavorful Indian curry where mushrooms and bell peppers are cooked in a tomato gravy along with freshly ground spices. As the recipe name suggests, this curry is cooked in a kadai (Indian wok). But, you can make it in any pan or wok if you don’t have an Indian wok.
What to serve with Mushroom Kadai?
It tastes great with any Indian flatbread like naan, roti, paratha or chapati. It can also be served with plain steamed rice, jeera pulao or vegetable pulao.
Is this Mushroom Curry Vegan?
It is not vegan. But, you can simply skip cream or yogurt to make it vegan.
More Curry Recipes on the blog:
- Punjabi Aloo Beans
- Spicy Mushroom Pepper Fry
- Badami Paneer
- Baingan Bharta
- Soya Chunks Curry
- Saag Aloo
- Paneer Capsicum Subzi
- Aloo Palak Gravy
- Ponnaganti Senagapappu Kura
How to Make Kadai Mushroom Recipe Video below:
Kadai Mushroom Recipe
- 300 grams Mushroom
- 1 cup Onion finely chopped
- 1 cup Capsicum
- ¼ tsp Red Chilli Powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Kasoori Methi
- 2-3 tbsp Oil
- 2-3 tbsp Chopped Coriander Leaves
- 2 tbsp Cream or Yogurt
For tomato puree
- 2 ½ cups Tomatoes 4 medium-sized
- 1 tbsp Garlic (approx. 2 large cloves)
- 1 tbsp Ginger
For the spice powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 2 Cloves
- 1 inch piece Cinnamon
- 2 Cardamom Pods
- ¼ tsp Black Peppercorns
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 small Bay Leaf
- 2-3 Dry Red Chillies
- To prepare the spice blend, dry roast the whole spices for 2-3 minutes or until fragrant. Let them cool and grind into a semi-fine powder. Keep aside.
- To prepare the tomato puree, blend tomatoes along with ginger and garlic until you get a smooth puree. No need to add any water.
- Heat oil in a pan and sautee the chopped onion until translucent.
- Add the prepared tomato puree to it and let it cook for 10 minutes.
- Then add turmeric powder and chilli powder and combine it well.
- Add sliced mushrooms to the tomato mixture and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add salt and prepared spice blend and mix.
- Add 1 cup of water to it. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes or until mushrooms are cooked.
- Once they are soft, add capsicum and ½ cup of water and continue cooking for 6-7 minutes until capsicum is slightly cooked.
- Once done, add kasoori methi and cream to the gravy and mix.
- Finally, add coriander leaves and switch off the flame.
- Serve hot with rice or roti.
Kadai Mushroom Gravy Recipe with Step by Step Photos:
- Chop mushrooms and capsicum into slices and set aside. Peel and chop the onion into small pieces and set aside.
- Heat a pan and dry roast coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cardamom pods, peppercorns, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf and red chillies for about 2-3 minutes or till they are fragrant. No need to roast them to a brown color.
- Take the roasted spices out of the pan and let them cool completely.
- Once they are cooled, transfer them to a blender jar or mixie jar and grind to a semi-fine powder. Keep it aside until use.
- Chop 4 medium-sized tomatoes roughly (2 ½ cups) and transfer to a blender.
- Add garlic and ginger to it and blend to a smooth puree without adding any water. The water in the tomatoes is enough to make it a puree.
- Keep this puree aside until use.
- Heat a skillet or heavy-bottomed pan with 2-3 tablespoons of oil.
- Add the finely chopped onion and saute until onions are translucent.
- Then add the prepared tomato puree to the pan and combine it well.
- Let it cook for about 10 minutes or until oil separates.
- When the tomato-onion mixture is thick, add turmeric powder and chilli powder. Give it a stir.
- Now add the sliced mushrooms to the pan and saute them for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the ground spices and salt to it and mix well.
- Pour 1 cup of water and give it a stir.
- Cover the pan and let it cook for 10 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and soft.
- Keep stirring in between and add more water if needed.
- Once mushrooms are cooked, add the sliced capsicum and ½ cup of water to it.
- Continue cooking for another 6-7 minutes or until capsicum is slightly softened. Do not cook the capsicum completely, there should be a little crunch.
- Before you turn off the flame, add crushed kasoori methi and cream or yogurt and mix.
- Finally, add the chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with roti or rice.