Kathirikai Rasavangi Recipe – Traditional and authentic Tamil style side dish prepared with eggplants, lentils, spices and coconut. A healthy and simple side dish for rice. It can be done in 20 minutes.
What is Kathirikai Rasavangi?
Rasavangi is a traditional Tamil style stew made with lentils, eggplants or brinjals, freshly ground spices and coconut. It is an authentic side dish similar to the South Indian sambar. Rasavangi is one of the comforting and healthy South Indian dishes that can be made in 20 minutes.
What vegetables go well in Rasavangi?
You can make the dish with ash gourd or ridge gourd instead of eggplants (kathirikai)
Is it vegan?
Yes, the dish is vegan but skip ghee or clarified butter while serving rasavangi with rice.
How long can I store it?
It can be stored for 1-2 days in the refrigerator.
It tastes amazing when served with hot steamed rice along with ghee and papad.
Few more Tamil Recipes on the blog:
- Vazhakkai Podimas
- Lemon Sevai
- Mulai Keerai Kootu
- Javvarisi Payasam
- Kathirikai Sambar
- Keerai Sambar
- Palakottai Kootu
How to make Brinjal Rasavangi recipe below:
Kathirikai Rasavangi Recipe
- 1 ¼ cups Brinjals / Eggplants chopped
- ½ cup Toor Dal (can substitute with red lentils)
- Tamarind small lemon sized ball
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Jaggery
- A pinch Hing
- 1 tsp Oil
- 3 tbsp Grated Fresh Coconut
- 1 tbsp Chana Dal
- 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 4 Dried Red Chillies
- 1 tsp Oil
- ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Urad Dal
- 2 tsp Oil
- A few curry leaves
- Wash and pressure cook the toor dal or red lentils for 3 whistles. Switch off the heat and wait until the pressure goes off.
- Mash the cooked dal and set aside.
- Soak the tamarind in water and squeeze the extract out of it. Keep it aside.
- Chop the brinjals and soak them in salted water. Set them aside.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil into a pan. Add coriander seeds, chana dal and red chillies and fry until golden brown color.
- Then add the grated coconut to it and saute till the coconut turns light brown. Let it cool completely.
- Grind the roasted ingredients into a paste with a little water. Keep it aside.
- Add a teaspoon of oil in the pan. Add the brinjal pieces and saute for a minute.
- Then add the tamarind extract, salt, turmeric and little water to the brinjal and mix.
- Cover and cook until the pieces are cooked.
- When it is done, add the cooked dal, ground coconut paste, hing, jaggery and water (adjust to desired consistency).
- Combine everything and let it simmer for 1 – 2 minutes. Turn off the flame.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a pan for seasoning.
- Add the mustard seeds and urad dal and fry until they are a golden color. Add the curry leaves and stir for a couple of seconds. Pour this over the brinjal mixture and mix well.
- Serve hot with rice.