Sweet Rava Kozhukattai or Bellam Rava Undrallu Recipe – South Indian style steamed dumplings made with semolina, jaggery, coconut and moong dal. A perfect dish for Vinayaka Chavithi!
What are sweet rava undrallu?
It is a South Indian style steamed sweet dumpling made with semolina, jaggery, coconut and moong dal. They are also known as Rava Kozhukattai.
The best part is they can be made in under 25 minutes with easily available ingredients.
These are perfect to make during Ganesh Chaturthi or Vinakaya Chavithi festival.
Here is a list of 70+ Ganesh Chaturthi recipes
How long do they last?
They stay fresh for a day at room temperature. If you store them in the refrigerator, they keep well for 2 days.
Is it vegan?
No! But, you can replace ghee with coconut oil to make it vegan-friendly.
They can be served as naivedya or prasada to lord Ganesha on Vinayaka Chavithi festival.
They can also be served as a sweet snack with tea or coffee.
Step by step preparation:
- Soak one tablespoon of split moong dal in water for at least 30 minutes.
- Once they are soaked, drain excess water and keep it aside until use.
- Dry roast semolina or sooji in a wide pan for about 2-3 minutes. No need to change the color. Roasting the rava will prevent lumps while cooking.
- Transfer the roasted rava to a plate and let it cool.
- In the same pan, combine the measured jaggery and water. Let the jaggery dissolve completely.
- Strain the jaggery water to remove any impurities if needed.
- Add fresh coconut and soaked moong dal to the jaggery water and bring it to a rolling boil.
- Reduce the flame to low.
- Slowly add the roasted semolina to the boiling water and stir continuously to avoid any lumps.
- Add cardamom powder and ghee on top and give it a stir.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let it simmer for about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove it from the heat and let it cool down a bit before shaping it into balls.
- Divide the mixture into 10 round balls.
- If you are unable to make them smooth, knead the rava mixture well when it is warm.
- Grease the idli plates or steamer plate with a little bit of ghee.
- Arrange them on greased plates.
- Steam cook the undrallu / kozhukattai over high flame for 8 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and serve them warm or cold.
If you are looking for more Ganesh Chaturthi recipes then check the below recipes.
You’ll love these recipes:
- Undralla Payasam
- Sweet Ammini Kozhukattai
- Til Modak
- Mango Modak
- Rava Kudumulu
- Sooji Modak
- Bellam Thalikalu
- Moong Dal Sundal
- Kobbari Poornalu
How to make sweet rava undrallu recipe video below:
Sweet Rava Kozhukattai Recipe – Sweet Rava Undrallu Recipe
- ½ cup Semolina
- ⅓ cup Jaggery
- ¼ cup Grated Fresh Coconut
- 1 tbsp Moong Dal
- ¼ tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1 tsp Ghee (1 tsp extra for greasing )
- 1 cup Water
- Soak moong dal in water for 30 minutes and drain.
- Dry roast the semolina for 2 minutes over a medium flame and keep it aside.
- Combine jaggery and water in a pan and let it dissolve completely. Strain if needed.
- Add coconut and soaked lentil to the jaggery water and bring it to a rolling boil.
- Slowly add the roasted semolina and stir constansty.
- Add cardamom powder and one teaspoon of ghee and combine everything well together.
- Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes on a low flame.
- Remove from the pan and let it cool down a bit.
- Shape it into 10 round balls and place them on greased idli plates or steamer.
- Steam cook them for 8 minutes and serve!
Nutrition values are estimates only.