An easy, healthy and delicious South Indian stir-fry using banana stem, coconut, and spices. Perfect for Onam!
A delicious and healthy South Indian curry made with banana stem, coconut and spices. It is also known as vazhaithandu poriyal, vazha pindi thoran and arati doota koora.
It is a mildly spiced curry or side dish that can be served with rice or roti.
If you are looking for kerala onam sadya recipes, you can include this dish.
Few more South Indian recipes you’ll love:
- Vendakka Thoran
- Pumpkin Thoran
- Beetroot Pachadi
- Banana Chips
- Ada Pradhaman
- Cucumber Kichadi
How to make vazhaithandu poriyal recipe below:
Vazhaithandu Poriyal Recipe – Banana Stem Curry
A healthy South Indian side dish made with banana stem, coconut and spices.
- 2 cups chopped Banana Stem
- ½ cup Fresh Coconut
- 6-8 Shallots or 1 medium onion
- 2 Green Chillies
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- ½ tsp Urad Dal
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 Red Chilli
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves
- ⅛ tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt to taste
- Chop the banana step into thin discs and remove the fiber. Keep the slices immersed in water mixed with a tablespoon of curd.
- Chop the slices into small pieces.
- In a vessel, add the chopped banana stem, salt, turmeric powder and water and cook until the pieces are soft. Drain and set aside.
- Grind the shallots, green chillies, cumin seeds and coconut into a little coarse paste and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds and urad dal and let them splutter. Then add the curry leaves and red chilli to it and fry for a couple of seconds.
- Now add the ground coconut mixture and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the cooked banana stem and mix.
- Adjust the salt and fry for 1 -2 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and serve hot with rice or roti.
Nutrition values are estimates only.
Tried this recipe?Mention @iamharichandana or tag #blendwithspices!
looks yummy 🙂
Bhavani Nandan says