Tamil Style Sambar Masala Powder Recipe
Prep Time: 5 mins | Cook time: 35 mins | Makes: about 2.5 cups
Author: Hari Chandana P
Cuisine: South Indian
Recipe type: Spice Powder
- 1 3/4 cups Coriander Seeds
- 30 Dried Red Chillies (adjust according to your spice level)
- 1 tbsp Chana Dal
- 1 tbsp Urad Dal
- 1 tbsp Toor Dal
- 2 tsp Black Peppercorns
- 1 tbsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tbsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Hing
- 3 - 4 Sprigs Curry Leaves
- In a heavy bottomed pan, dry roast the coriander seeds on a low flame until fragrant or light brown color. Add the hing to the coriander seeds and continue roasting for a few seconds or until fragrant.
- Transfer it to a plate. Add the turmeric powder to the roasted coriander seeds and let it cool.
- Dry roast the curry leaves until crisp. Keep them aside.
- Then roast the red chillies for a few seconds and keep them aside.
- Dry roast all the ingredients one by one until they are light golden brown color and fragrant.
- Let them cool completely.
- Grind the roasted ingredients into a fine powder.
- Let the ground powder cool completely and store in an air tight container.
- You can refrigerate it for longer use.
You might also like to check these recipes:
- Spinach Sambar
- Gummadikaya Pindi Miriyam
- Methi Sambar
- Mullangi Pesara Pappu Sambar
- Kathirikai Sambar
- Thotakura Sambar
- Mango sambar