If you are looking for more festival recipes then do check Senaga Pappu Payasam, Rava Payasam, Bellam Pongali, Kobbari Payasam, Pesara Poornam Boorelu and Rava Kesari.
Miriyam / Miriyala Pulihora Recipe
- 1 cup Raw Rice
- 2 cups Water
- Big lemon sized ball tamarind
- 2 – 3 Green Chillies
- 4 Dried Red Chillies
- 1 or 1.5 tsp Black Peppercorns
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tbsp Chana Dal
- 1 tbsp Urad Dal
- 3 tbsp Peanuts
- 1 tsp Jaggery, powdered
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- A pinch of Hing
- 2 Sprigs Curry Leaves
- 3 tbsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- Wash and pressure cook the rice with two cups of water for 3 – 4 whistles.
- Soak the tamarind in water for 10 minutes. Squeeze the extract out of it and set aside.
- Dry roast the black pepper for a couple of minutes and cool. Grind into a powder and set aside.
- Spread the cooked rice on a wide plate and let it cool completely.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds, chana dal, urad dal and peanuts and let them splutter. Fry them until golden brown color.
- Add the slit green chillies, red chillies, hing and curry leaves to it and fry for a couple of seconds.
- Now add the tamarind extract, jaggery, turmeric powder and powdered black pepper to it and mix well.
- Cook the mixture until the oil gets separates. Turn off the flame.
- Combine the rice, salt and cooked tamarind mixture well and serve.
You might also like to check these recipes: