Bellam Sunnundalu Recipe – A healthy and traditional Andhra sweet snack made with urad dal, jaggery and ghee.
Classic Andhra Minapa Sunni – These laddus are very healthy and easy to make. The good part is you can store these Sunnundalu up to 20 days. These urad dal laddus can be made with sugar as well.
What is Sunnunda?
Sunnunda or Sunni Unda is an authentic sweet dish from Andhra Pradesh. The main ingredient is Urad Dal or Minapappu (skinned black gram). Traditionally, we make them with roasted urad dal, jaggery or sugar and ghee. But you can also add your favorite nuts and cardamom seeds.
Is Sunnunda good for health?
The traditional old age recipe uses jaggery or bellam instead of sugar. This sweet dish has very good health benefits. They are rich in Iron, Protein and Minerals.
What can be used instead of Ghee?
You really can’t substitute ghee in this recipe. Ghee makes it easier to bind and roll the laddus and helps in better digestion too.
Which Urad Dal is best to make Sunni Undalu?
The authentic recipe calls for the whole black gram also know as Minumulu in Telugu and the color of the laddus will turn out black if you use whole black gram. However, you can use any available urad dal.
How long can Urad Dal Laddus last?
They stay fresh up to 20 days if you store them in an airtight container.
How to Make Sunnundalu with Sugar?
If you want to substitute sugar for jaggery, please check this Urad Dal Ladoo Recipe
Few Tips to Make the Best Minapa Sunnundalu
- Always roast the lentils over a low – medium flame.
- Make sure you keep stirring to prevent the lentils from burning.
- Urad Dal should be well roasted and there will not taste raw.
- If you want to make very smooth laddus, grind the roasted lentils into a fine powder and sieve if needed.
- Do not use cold or solid ghee. The ghee should be warm.
- Always roll laddus immediately after adding ghee to the lentil-jaggery mixture.
Few More Laddu Recipes:
- Condensed Milk Rava Laddu
- Poha Peanut Laddu
- Tambittu Unde
- Til Mawa Ladoo
- Sunnundalu with Sugar
- Pesara Sunnundalu
- Oats Peanuts Laddu
How to Make Bellam Sunnundalu Video Recipe:
Minapa Sunnundalu - Authentic Andhra Urad Dal Laddu
- 1/2 cup Urad Dal
- 1/2 cup Jaggery
- 1/4 cup Ghee
- Dry roast the urad dal over medium flame until golden color. Do not burn the lentils and keep stirring to prevent burning.
- When they are evenly roasted and you get a nice aroma from the roasted lentils, turn off the flame and let it cool completely.
- Grind the lentils into a little coarse or fine powder.
- Add the jaggery to the lentils powder and blend it again until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl and add the warm ghee little by little and mix well. Do not add the ghee at once.
- Take a portion of the mixture and roll into a ball.
How to Make Minapa Sunnundalu Recipe with Step by Step Photos:
- Heat a wide and heavy bottomed pan and add the urad dal.
- Dry roast the lentils over a low-medium flame until golden color.
- Keep stirring to avoid burning the lentils.
- When the lentils are evenly browned and you get a nice aroma from it, remove from the pan and transfer to a plate.
- Let them cool completely grind to a coarse or fine powder using a mixie or spice blender.
- Add chopped and measured jaggery to the ground lentils and blend it again until well combined.
- Add warm ghee little by little over the lentil jaggery mixture and mix well.
- Always use warm and melted ghee to make laddus.
- Pour ghee little by little and keep mixing till you are able to shape the laddus.
- Immediately, take a portion of the mixture and shape into a round ball.
- Arrange the shaped laddus on a plate and let them sit for some time.
- Store them in an airtight container.