Potato Pindi Miriyam Recipe – Classic and delicious Andhra side dish made with lentils, potatoes, spices and coconut. A great side dish for rice.
What is Aloo Pindi Miriyam?
Pindi Miriyam is a delicious Andhra style lentil based gravy made with potatoes and freshly ground spices and coconut. It is a classic and less known dish from Andhra Pradesh. It is a well balanced and healthy side dish for rice.
Is this Vegan?
Yes, it is a vegan-friendly recipe.
How to substitute toor dal?
You can use same amount of red lentils in the place of toor dal.
What vegetables can you add to Pindi Miriyam?
I have used chopped boiled potatoes in this pindi miriram or pepper stew recipe. You can substitute them with ash gourd, snake gourd and plantains.
What do you serve with Andhra Pindi Miriyam?
This curry or stew tastes great with plain rice or basmati. If you are not vegan you can top it with a dollop of ghee.
Step by step preparation:
- Rinse ⅓rd cup of toor dal with plenty of water and pressure cook them with ¾th cup of water for 3 whistles.
- Mash the cooked dal and keep it aside.
- To prepare the masala paste, heat 2 tsp of oil in a pan and add coriander seeds, chana dal, pepper and rice.
- Keep stirring and roast until they are a golden brown color.
- Add the dried red chillies to the pan and saute for another minute.
- Remove from the flame and let them cool completely.
- Transfer the roasted spices to the blender or moxie jar.
- Grind it to a powder along with tamarind.
- Add coconut and a little water to the ground powder and blend again to get a nice and smooth masala paste.
- Keep it aside.
- In a vessel or pan, combine the mashed lentils, ground masala paste, boiled potatoes and turmeric powder.
- Add water and required salt to it and mix until everything is combined.
- Let it boil on a medium flame for 10-15 minutes.
- Add more water if you want to adjust the consistency.
- Once it is done, remove it from the heat.
- Heat oil in a small pan for seasoning.
- Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Let them splutter.
- Add curry leaves, red chillies and hing and give it a stir.
- Pour it over the prepared stew and mix well.
Few more recipes you’ll love:
- Vankaya Pachadi
- Gongura Pappu
- Cabbage Dal
- Cucumber Curry
- Gutti Vankaya Masala
- Pappula Podi
- Gutti Dondakaya Ulli Karam
- Senagala Pulusu
- Dondakaya Kobbari Karam
- Ponnaganti Majjiga Pulusu
- Moong Dal Radish Sambar
How to make potato pindi miriyam recipe video below:
Potato Pindi Miriyam Recipe
- ¾ cup Potatoes (boiled & chopped)
- ⅓ cup Toor Dal
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt to taste
For Masala Paste
- 2 tsp Coriander Seeds
- 2 tsp Chana Dal (split chickpea lentils)
- 1 tsp Black Peppercorns
- 1.5 tsp Raw Rice
- 3 Dry Red Chillies
- 1 inch piece Tamarind
- ¼ cup Fresh Coconut (or dry coconut)
- 2 tsp Oil
- ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 sprigs Curry Leaves
- 1-2 Dry Red Chilles
- A pinch of Hing
- 2 tsp Oil
- Pressure cook the rinsed toor dal for 3 whistles. Turn off the flame and wait until the pressure goes off. Mash the cooked dal and keep it aside.
- Wash, peel and cook potatoes using a pressure cooker or microwave.
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a pan and add the coriander seeds, chana dal, rice and pepper and fry them on a medium flame till they are golden brown. Add red chillies to it and saute them for another minute.
- Remove from the pan and set aside to cool.
- In a mixie, add the roasted ingredients, roasted and tamarind and grind into a powder. Add coconut and grind it again. Grind everything to a smooth paste using water. Keep it aside.
- Combine the cooked potatoes, ground masala, mashed dal, 1.5 cups of water (adjust to desired consistency), salt and turmeric powder in a vessel.
- Let it boil on a medium flame for 10 minutes. Turn off the flame.
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a pan for seasoning. Add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds and let them splutter. Add the hing, curry leaves and red chilli and stir for a few seconds. Pour this over the stew and combine well.
- Serve hot with rice.