Gutti Vankaya Masala Kura – Andhra style stuffed brinjal curry with onions, peanuts and spices.
What is Gutti Vankaya Curry?
Gutti vankaya curry is a classic and delicious Andhra style curry made with small or baby eggplants, peanuts, onions and spices. It is nothing but stuffed baby eggplants with a special peanut masala or filling and cooked in the peanut sauce.
Gutti vankaya means “whole eggplants” and it is a way of cooking where the veggies are stuffed with spices and cooked whole. So you will need to cook them whole without chopping them into pieces. Choose small and same sized eggplants to ensure even cooking.
There are so many variations of making gutti vankaya curry and this one is classic and popular. Check the below links for the variations.
Gutti vankaya variations:
It tastes best when served hot with plain rice.
It can also be served with roti, naan, jowar roti and ragi roti.
Step by step preparation:
- To prepare the filling, peel and chop onion into pieces and set them aside.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a wide pan or wok. Add cloves, cinnamon stick, coriander seeds and peanuts and let them fry over a low-medium flame until they are browned.
- Add one dried red chilli to the peanuts and saute for another few seconds.
- Take them out of the pan and set aside to cool completely.
- In the same pan, add a tablespoon of oil.
- Add slit green chillies and chopped onion to the pan and saute them until they are transparent and light pink.
- Add desiccated coconut or grated dry coconut to the sauteed onions and give it a stir. You can also use fresh coconut.
- Let it cool.
- Combine the roasted peanuts + spices, sauteed onions, tamarind, turmeric powder, ginger, garlic, jaggery and salt in a blender or mixer jar.
- Add a little bit of water to it and blend until you get a smooth and thick paste.
- Wash the baby eggplants or brinjal and make a plus (+) slit on the bottom of the eggplant. Keep one end intact.
- Carefully stuff them with the ground mixture and set them aside.
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons of oil in a pan to cook the brinjals.
- Gently drop the stuffed brinjals into the pan and give it a mix to coat them evenly.
- Add the remaining ground masala and combine it well.
- Pour one cup of water and mix well.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook on a medium-low flame until brinjals are soft and cooked.
- Keep stirring in between and add more water to prevent it from burning.
- Once the brinjals are cooked, add the chopped coriander leaves and mix.
- Add more water to adjust the curry consistency.
If you are looking for more curry recipes then do check the below recipes.
Few more curry recipes:
- Kadai Mushroom
- Soya Chunks Masala
- Badami Paneer
- Aloo Ka Rassawala Shaak
- Paneer Capsicum Stir Fry
- Shahi Paneer
- Ponnaganti Senagapappu Koora
- Sorakaya Palu Posina Koora
- Cucumber Curry
- Rajma Palak
- Aratikaya Ulli Karam
How to make gutti vankaya masala kura recipe with video:
Gutti Vankaya Curry Recipe
- 12 Small Brinjals / Eggplants
- 1-2 Slit Green Chillies
- 2-3 tbsp Oil
- 1-2 tbsp Coriander Leaves
For the stuffing
- 1 Dry Red Chilli
- 2 Small Onions
- ½ cup Peanuts
- 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 2 tbsp Desiccated Coconut / Dry Coconut
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick
- 3-4 Cloves
- 1 inch Ginger
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1-2 Green Chillies
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- Tamarind small lemon size ball
- 1 tsp Jaggery
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- To prepare the stuffing, heat a tsp of oil in a pan and add cloves, coriander seeds, cinnamon stick and peanut and fry until golden brown color.
- Add dry red chilli and fry for a couple of seconds.
- Take them out of the pan and keep it aside.
- In the same pan, add one tablespoon of oil and add and saute slit green chillies and chopped onions until they are transparent.
- Add dry coconut or desiccated coconut to it and give it a mix.
- Combine the roasted peanuts mixture, sauteed onion, turmeric, ginger, garlic, tamarind, salt and jaggery in a blender and grind to a smooth paste by adding a little water. Keep it aside.
- Wash the eggplants and make a plus (+) slit on the bottom of the eggplant. Keep one end intact.
- Now stuff the eggplants with the ground mixture and keep them aside.
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons of oil in a pan. Place the stuffed eggplants carefully into the pan and give it a mix.
- Add the leftover filling and one cup of water to the pan.
- Mix well and cover with a lid.
- Let it cook over a medium - flame until they are soft and cooked.
- Keep stirring in between and add more water if needed. Adjust salt if needed.
- Once they are done, add chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or roti.
Nutrition values are estimates only.