Dosakaya Koora Recipe – A classic and healthy Andhra style curry with lemon cucumbers, onions and spices.
What is Dosakaya Kura?
Dosakaya Kura is a traditional Andhra style of making a curry using dosakaya or yellow cucumbers. It is one of the simple andhra recipes that doesn’t require many masalas or spices. Cucumber curry is perfect to try during the summer season.
Yellow cucumbers are also known as lemon cucumber, dosakai and vellarikka. It is a widely used vegetable across South India and we add them to the pickles, dals, curries and sambar.
More Cucumber Recipes on the blog:
What are the ingredients?
Dosakaya or Yellow Cucumber – Make sure you taste the cucumber before you cook to avoid bitterness. If it is bitter, do not use it.
Onion – It gives the sweetness and texture to the curry. Do not skip it.
Green Chillies & Red Chillies
Is Cucumber Curry Vegan?
Yes, it is a vegan dish.
It tastes best when served hot with plain rice. However, it can also be served with roti or naan.
If you are looking for more Andhra recipes then do check the below recipes.
Few More Andhra Recipes:
How to Make Dosakaya Koora Recipe below:
Dosakaya Koora Recipe
- 1 cup Chopped Yellow Cucumber
- 2 small sized Onion
- 2-3 Green Chillies
- 2 Dried Red Chillies
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Chana Dal
- 1/2 tsp Urad Dal
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- Wash, peel and cut the cucumber. Discard seeds and chop into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a wok or pan, add mustard seeds, urad dal and chana dal and let them splutter.
- Then add broken red chillies, curry leaves and slit green chillies and fry for a few seconds.
- Add the chopped onion to it and fry until translucent.
- Now add the chopped cucumber, salt, turmeric powder and little water and mix well.
- Cover with a lid and cook on a low or medium flame until cucumber pieces are soft.
- When it is done, remove from the flame and serve hot with rice or roti.