Dal Chencki / Red Lentils with Pearl Onions :
Preparation & Cooking Time : 45 mins
Serves: 4 persons
Recipe adapted from sanjeev kapoor’s dal and kadhi
Masoor Dal / Split Red Lentils: ¾ cup
Pearl Onions: 8
Tomato: 1 medium
Panch Phoran : ¼ tsp (to make panch phoran combine equal quantity of mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds and onion seeds. use as required)
Cumin Seeds: ½ tsp
Red Chilli Powder: ½ tsp or to taste
Sugar: ¼ tsp
Green Chillies : 1 – 2 finely chopped
Chopped Coriander Leaves: 1 tbsp
Turmeric Powder: ¼ tsp
Ghee: 1 – 1.5 tbsp
1. Wash and soak the dal in water for 15 minutes. Drain and spread the dal on a large plate in one layer. Leave it to dry.
2. Heat ghee in a pan and add the cumin seeds and panch phoran and fry.
3. Then add the finely chopped green chillies and pearl onions and fry until light brown. Add the turmeric powder, chopped tomato, salt and chilli powder and saute for 2 minutes.
4. Add the dal and sugar with 1 ½ cups of water. Mix well and cover with a lid. Let it cook on a medium or low flame.
5. Make sure the lentils remains whole and is not mashed.
6. Add the coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or roti.
You might also like to check these recipes:
- Amaranth Leaves Sambar
- Palak Aloo
- Kadai Paneer
- Rasgulla Recipe
- Tindora Coconut Fry
- Dosakaya Kura
- Curry Leaves Coconut Chutney
- Rava Kudumulu