Gummadi Kaya Pappu / Pumpkin Dal Recipe:
Preparation & Cooking Time : 20 - 25 mins
Serves: 4 persons
Chopped Pumpkin : 1 to 1.5 cups
Toor Dal: 1/2 cup
Green Chillies : 2
Dried Red Chillies : 1
Tamarind : Gooseberry size ball
Mustard Seeds : 1/2 tsp
Chana Dal : 1/2 tsp
Urad Dal: 1/2 tsp
Red Chilli Powder: 1/2 tsp or to taste
Turmeric Powder : 1/4 tsp
Hing : 1/8 tsp
Curry Leaves : 1 sprig
Oil : 1 tsp
Salt to taste
1. Soak the tamarind in water for 10 minutes, then squeeze the extract out of it and set aside.
2. Wash, peel and chop the pumpkin into cubes. Put the rinsed toor dal dal, chopped pumpkin, slit green chillies, chopped onion, chopped tomato and 1.5 cups of water in a pressure cooker and cook till 3 whistles.
3. Turn off the flame and wait until the pressure go off.
4. Heat a teaspoon of oil in a vessel. Add the mustard seeds, chana dal, urad dal,cumin seeds and let them splutter.
5. Then add the broken red chillies, hing and curry leaves to it and fry for a couple seconds.
6. Add the tamarind extract and cook for a minute. Now add the dal mixture, salt, red chilli powder and turmeric to it and cook for 5 minutes.
7. Switch off the flame and serve hot with roti or steamed rice.