Matar Ki Chaat Recipe – Easy, yummy and one of the healthy Indian chaat recipes made with green peas and spices.
What is Green Peas Chaat?
Green peas chaat or Matar ki chaat is a super easy and healthy Indian style savory snack made with green peas, onion, tomato and spices. Chaat is one of the Indian street foods, typically made with lentils, pulses, vegetables and spices. Many Indian chaat varieties are served with sweet, tangy and spicy sauces/chutneys. This green peas chaat doesn’t need any chutneys or preparations, can be made in no time.
There are few more variations of making matar ki chaat but this one is the dry chat variation. If you are looking to try healthy Indian chaat recipes then this recipe is for you.
How to Cook Green Peas for this recipe?
I have boiled them in the water on a stovetop until they are soft and cooked. You can also steam or pressure cook them for this dish. Make sure they are not overcooked.
Can I use Frozen Peas?
Yes, just thaw them or rinse them with hot water and use it in the recipe.
Can I make this Chaat in advance?
Cook green peas in advance and mix everything just before you serve. Otherwise, it oozes out water. If you want to serve it warm, reheat the peas before you assemble everything.
Is Matar Ki Chaat Vegan?
YES! it is a vegan snack.
It tastes great when served warm with a cup of ginger tea or coffee. You can also serve this as a breakfast. Adding sev or bhujia on top will give the extra crunch and taste but it is completely optional.
If you are looking for more snack recipes then do check the below recipes
Few More Indian Snack Recipes on the blog:
- Mirchi Bada
- Cabbage Pakoda
- Bombay Veg Toast Sandwich
- Chana Chaat
- Bombay Sandwich
- Methi Na Gota
- Bhutte Ka Kees
- Masala Pav
- Roasted Makhana
- Pasi Paruppu Sundal
How to Make Matar Chaat Recipe Video below:
Matar Chaat Recipe
- 1 cup Green Peas fresh or frozen
- ¼ cup Chopped Tomatoes
- ¼ cup Chopped Onion
- 2 tbsp Coriander Leaves
- ½ tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
- ½ tsp Amchur / Dry Mango Powder
- ¾ tsp Chaat Masala
- ¼ tsp Red Chilli Powder (optional)
- 1 Green Chilli chopped
- 1-2 tsp Lemon Juice
- Salt to taste
- Sev or Aloo Bhujia to serve (optional)
- Combine green peas and water in a pan or vessel and cover with a lid.
- Let it cook for 10-15 minutes or until peas are soft.
- Turn off the flame and drain them completely.
- Transfer the cooked peas to a bowl and add the remaining ingredients.
- Mix everything well and serve warm immedietely.
Matar Chaat Recipe with Step by Step Photos:
- Add one cup of peas in a vessel or saucepan along with water. Make sure you add enough water to cook them.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let them cook for about 10 – 15 minutes or until they are soft and tender.
- Once the peas are soft and cooked well, remove from the heat.
- Drain them immediately and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add tomato, onion, chilli, salt, dry mango powder, cumin powder, lemon juice and coriander leaves to the bowl.
- Mix everything together well.
- Serve as a snack!