Quick, healthy, easy and flavorful scrambled paneer (Indian cottage cheese) with fresh fenugreek leaves and spices.
What is methi paneer bhurji?
Paneer bhurji is a popular, healthy and quick North Indian dish made with crumbled Indian cottage cheese, tomatoes, onion and spices. I gave a twist to the classic paneer bhurji by adding some fresh fenugreek leaves or methi leaves to enhance the taste and nutrition.
This simple dish is high in protein and can be made under 20-25 minutes.
It can be made with homemade paneer or store-bought paneer.
You can also add a handful of green peas for a variation.
If you don’t have methi leaves in hand, just swap them with spinach. Check my palak paneer bhurji to know how to make it.
It can be served with a bread toast, roti, paratha or any flatbread.
You can also use this as a stuffing to make a sandwich. Check my paneer sandwich recipe to know how to make it.
Step by step preparation:
- Remove the stems from fenugreek leaves and set them aside until use.
- Peel and chop the onions into small pieces and set aside.
- Wash and finely chop the tomatoes and set aside.
- Heat a tablespoon of each ghee and oil in kadai or pan.
- Once the oil is hot, add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Then add the finely chopped ginger, garlic and green chillies.
- Saute them for few seconds.
- Then add chopped onions to the pan and fry until they are translucent.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes to the pan and let it cook for about 5 minutes or until the tomatoes are soft and cooked.
- When the tomatoes are soft and mushy, add garam masala, turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
- Give it a mix.
- Now add the fresh fenugreek leaves or methi leaves and mix everything well together.
- Saute for about 4-5 minutes or until the leaves are cooked.
- Once the leaves are fully cooked, add 200 grams of crumbled cottage cheese and salt to the pan.
- Mix and let it cook for 2 minutes. Do not overcook.
- Turn off the heat and squeeze some lemon juice on top. Mix well and serve hot.
You’ll love these recipes:
- Punjabi Aloo Beans
- Kadai Mushroom
- Gutti Dondakaya Ulli Karam
- Soya Chunks Masala
- Saag Aloo
- Aloo Palak
- Vazhakka Thoran
- Rajma Palak
- Stuffed Brinjal Curry
How to make methi paneer bhurji recipe video below:
Methi Paneer Bhurji Recipe
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 4-5 small Garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 inch piece Ginger finely chopped
- 1-2 Green Chillies finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Chopped Onion
- 1 cup Chopped Tomato
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/4 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 cup Fenugreek Leaves or Methi tightly packed
- 200 grams Crumbled Paneer (approx. 1 1/2 cups)
- 1-2 tsp Lemon Juice
- Salt to taste
- Clean the fresh fenugreek leaves and remove the stems. Keep it aside.
- Heat ghee and oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Add ginger, garlic and green chillies and saute for few seconds.
- Add chopped onions and saute them until they are translucent.
- Then add chopped tomatoes and cook until tomatoes are soft.
- Now add turmeric powder, chilli powder and garam masala and give it a stir.
- Add methi leaves and mix everything well.
- Let it cook for about 4-5 minutes or until the leaves are cooked.
- Add crumbled paneer and salt and mix well.
- Let it cook for another 2 minutes and turn off the flame. Don't overcook the paneer otherwise it will become chewy.
- Turn off the flame and add lemon juice.
- Mix everything well together and serve hot with roti, paratha or toast.