Avarekalu Chitranna Recipe – Quick and easy Karnataka Style Lemon Rice made with avarekalu or hyacinth beans, coconut, onion and spices.
What is Avarekalu?
Avarekalu or Avarekai is called Hyacinth Beans in English. The beans are known as Anapa Ginjalu or Chikkudu Ginjalu in Telugu, Avarekalu in Kannada, Sheem in Bangladesi, Surti Papdi in Hindi and Mochai Kottai in Tamil. We make many Indian dishes with shelled beans and deskinned beans.
What is Avarekalu Chitranna?
Avarekalu Chitranna is a traditional Karnataka rice dish made with deskinned avarekai or Hyacinth beans, lemon, coconut, onion and seasoned with spices. It is one of the easy and healthy main course recipes from Karnataka Cuisine. I make many varieties of South Indian Lemon Rice such as Coriander Lemon Rice, Coconut Lemon Rice, and Carrot Lemon Rice and this chitranna is one of the family favorites among them all.
What are the Ingredients of Avarekai Chitranna?
Avarekalu or Field Beans – You will need hitikida avarelu or peeled beans to make the dish. To prepare the beans, soak them for few hours and press the beans with fingers to remove the outer layer of the shelled beans. These deskinned beans are called Hitikida Avarekalu in Kannada and Pithikina Pappu in Telugu.
Rice – Any long grain rice can be perfect to make this dish.
Fresh Grated Coconut
Green Chillies & Dry Red Chillies
What to pair with Avarekai Lemon Rice?
It can be served as it is or with yogurt or potato fry.
Few tips to make the best Avarekai Lemon Rice:
- Make sure you cook the deskinned avarekalu till they are soft to bite.
- Spread the cooked rice on a wide plate to ensure the grains are separated. You can also use the leftover rice in this recipe.
- Do not cook any further after adding lemon juice to prevent bitterness.
- Use the freshly grated coconut for the best taste.
More Traditional South Indian Recipes:
- Tambittu Unde
- Pori Urundai
- Telangana Sakinalu
- Kathirikai Rasavangi
- Vankaya Pachadi
- Sweet Potato Kuzhambu
- Seppankizhangu Varuval
- Vazhakkai Podimas
Karnataka Style Avarekalu Chitranna Recipe Video below:
Avarekalu Chiitranna Recipe
- 1 ½ cups Hyacinth Beans / Peeled Avarekalu
- 3 cups Cooked Rice
- 3-4 tbsp Oil
- 2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tbsp Chana Dal
- 1 tbsp Urad Dal
- 2 tbsp Peanuts
- 2 Green Chillies
- 2 Dried Red Chillies
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
- ⅛ tsp Hing
- 1 cup Onion
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ¼ cup Grated Fresh Coconut
- 1 tbsp Coriander Leaves
- 4 tbsp Lemon Juice
- Add enough water and salt in a pot and cook the beans until they are soft and cooked. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, chana dal, peanuts and urad dal. Fry until golden brown color.
- Add curry leaves, green chillies, dried red chillies and hing to it and saute for a few seconds.
- Add chopped onion to it and saute until translucent.
- Add turmeric powder and cooked beans to it and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add the grated coconut, coriander leaves and lemon juice to the seasoned ingredients and combine well.
- Add cooked rice and salt and mix it well together.
Nutrition values are estimates only.
How to Make Avarekai Chitranna Recipe with Step by Step Photos:
- Bring enough water in a vessel or pot with ½ tablespoon of salt.
- Add 1 ½ cups of Hitikida Avarekalu or Peeled Avarekalu and let it cook for about 15 minutes or until the beans are soft.
- When the beans are cooked and soft to bite, drain them completely and set aside till use.
- Now heat 3-4 tablespoons of oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal and peanuts to it and fry until they are a golden brown color.
- When they are browned, add slit green chillies, dry red chillies, hing and curry leaves to it and fry for another few seconds.
- Now add one cup of chopped onion to the tempered ingredients and saute until translucent. You can use any variety of onions in this recipe.
- Add the cooked avarekalu and turmeric powder and saute for another 2 – 3 minutes.
- Then turn off the flame.
- Add the freshly grated coconut, chopped coriander leaves and lemon juice to it and combine well.
- Now add 3 cups of cooked rice to the beans mixture and give it a mix.
- Serve with yogurt.