Gopalkala is a very popular and traditional Maharashtrian dish made with flattened rice / beaten rice, yogurt, cucumber and spices. Gopalkala is usually made during Janmashtami or Gokulashtami festival. It is a healthy and no-cook dish that can be made in a few minutes and served as a breakfast or snack.
Gopalkala is so much similar to the South Indian Thayir Aval where we don’t use cucumber, coconut and roasted gram or bhuna chana.
Few More Festival Recipes on the blog:
- Cheruku Rasam Pongali
- Sweet Ammini Kozhukattai
- Kayi Holige
- Talalele Modak
- Singhara Halwa
- Godhuma Kudumulu
- Bellam Thalikalu
If you are looking for more Krishnashtami Recipes then check the below recipes:
How to Make Gopalkala Recipe Video below:
Gopalkala Recipe - Traditional Maharashtrian Recipe for Janmashtami
- ½ cup Medium Thick Poha
- ½ cup Yogurt
- ¼ cup Chopped Cucumber
- 2 tbsp Grated Fresh Coconut
- 2 tbsp Pomegranate
- ½ tsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp Roasted Gram
- 2 tbsp Coriander Leaves
- 1 tsp Ghee
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- ½ tsp Chopped Ginger
- 1 Green Chilli, chopped
- A pinch of Hing
- Salt to taste
- Wash poha with plenty of water and drain the water completely. Keep it aside for a few minutes.
- Add yogurt, chopped cucumber, rinsed poha, roasted gram, pomegranate, salt, sugar and fresh coconut in a mixing bowl.
- Mix everything well and set aside.
- Heat a teaspoon of ghee in a pan for seasoning.
- Add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Add the finely chopped ginger, green chillies and hing to it and saute for a few seconds.
- Turn off the flame and pour the tempered ingredients over the prepared poha-yogurt mixture.
- Combine until well combined.
- Serve as a snack or breakfast!
Gopalkala Recipe with Step by Step Photos:
- Measure the medium thick poha or beaten rice and add them to a bowl.
- Rinse the poha with water and drain completely.
- Keep it aside for a few minutes.
- Take the measured yogurt to a mixing bowl.
- Wash, peel and chop the cucumber into small pieces and add them to the yogurt.
- Add the rinsed and softened poha to it.
- Add pomegranate, salt, sugar, roasted gram, grated fresh coconut and coriander leaves to it.
- Give it a mix to combine well.
- Heat a teaspoon ghee in a small pan and add the cumin seeds. Let them splutter.
- Add the finely chopped ginger, green chillies and hing.
- Saute for a few seconds and turn off the heat.
- Add the seasoned ingredients to the prepared poha mixture.
- Mix well and serve immedietely.