Kadalai Paruppu Sundal or Chana Dal Sundal – South Indian Style Seasoned Lentils
Sundal or Guggillu is a South Indian savory snack with boiled legumes and tempered with spices and coconut. This is usually served as an evening snack or during festivals such as Navratri, Vinayaka Chavithi or Varalakshmi Vratham. And this is very easy and quick to make.
Few More Sundal Recipes on the blog:
How to Make Kadalai Paruppu Sundal Recipe
Chana Dal Sundal - Kadalai Paruppu Sundal Recipe
- ½ cup Chana Dal
- 3 tbsp Fresh Grated Coconut
- ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- ½ tsp Urad Dal
- A Pinch of Hing or Asafoetida
- A Pinch of Turmeric Powder
- 2 Dried Red Chillies
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
- 2 tsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- Soak the chana dal in water for 1 – 2 hours. Drain and cook it with enough water and turmeric until soft.
- Drain the cooked chana dal and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and urad dal and let them splutter.
- Add curry leaves, hing and broken red chillies and fry for a couple of seconds.
- Add the cooked chana dal and salt and fry for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add the grated coconut and mix well.
- Switch off the flame and serve hot.
Nutrition values are estimates only.