Pav Bhaji is a very famous Indian street food. It is a thick mashed vegetable curry cooked with spices and served with a soft buttered bread roll. There are many variations of Mumbai Pav Bhaji such as Jain Pav Bhaji, Cheese Pav Bhaji and Khada Pav Bhaji.
Paneer Pav Bhaji is another famous variation of pav bhaji from Mumbai, India. This street food is so simple to make at home and can be served as a breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Capsicum, potatoes, cauliflower, carrots, green peas, tomatoes and french beans are usually added to make pav bhaji. You will need to use a special spice blend called Pav Bhaji Masala to make this dish tasty and flavorful. You can use store-bought masala powder or homemade masala powder. Check my recipe of Pav Bhaji Masala Powder if you want to prepare at home.
Few More Paneer Recipes on the blog:
- Kadai Paneer
- Paneer Butter Masala
- Palak Paneer Bhurji
- Malabari Paneer
- Corn Paneer Vada
- Bengali Paneer Murki
- Paneer Capsicum Stir Fry
- Paneer Sandwich
- Paneer Kheer
How to Make Paneer Pav Bhaji Recipe:
Mumbai Paneer Pav Bhaji Recipe
- ¾ cup Crumbled Paneer (Indian Cottage Cheese)
- ¾ cup Green Peas fresh or frozen
- ¾ cup Chopped Carrots
- ¾ cup Chopped Cauliflower
- ¼ cup Chopped French Beans
- 1 small Capsicum
- 1 large Potato
- 2 large Tomatoes
- 1 large Onion finely chopped
- 1 or 1.5 tbsp Pav Bhaji Masala
- 1.5 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- 1 Green Chillies chopped
- 8 Pavs
- 2 to 3 tbsp Butter / Oil
- Salt as needed
- Chopped Coriander Leaves
- Lemon Juice as required
- Pressure cook the peas, potato, cauliflower, beans and carrot along with water, till soft. Drain any left over water. Lightly mash the cooked vegetables and set aside.
- Heat butter / oil in a pan. Add the finely chopped onion and chopped green chilli. Saute them till they become translucent.
- Now add the ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell disappears.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until soft and mushy.
- Add the chopped capsicum, turmeric, pav bhaji masala, chilli powder and garam masala. Fry for 2 minutes.
- Add water, salt and cooked vegetables to it and mix well. Let it simmer for 6 – 7 minutes. Add little more water if it is too thick.
- Now add the paneer and let it cook for a couple of minutes.
- Turn off the flame and add the lemon juice and coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Slice the pav horizontally into two and lightly toast them with butter.
- Serve the cooked vegetable mixture hot with toasted pav accompanied with chopped onion and lemon wedges.
Nutrition values are estimates only.
Shama Nagarajan says
Kalpana Sareesh says
super yummy dish..
Kaveri Venkatesh says
Looks very yummy