Aratikaya Vepudu or Plantain Fry with Sambar Powder – Aromatic and delicious side dish for rice!
Aratikaya Vepudu is one of the traditional Andhra stir-fry dishes and can be made in many ways. I have added sambar powder to the classic stir-fry to enhance the flavor and taste. If you are looking for more South Indian recipes then do check the below recipes.
Few More South Indian Recipes:
- Kathirikai Rasavangi
- Kalchina Aratikaya Koora
- Aratikaya Ulli Karam
- Palakottai Kootu
- Keerai Sambar
- Kathirikai Sambar
- Vazhakkai Poriyal
- Vellarikka Kichadi
Aratikaya Vepudu with Sambar Powder Recipe below:
Aratikaya Vepudu Recipe - Plantain Stir-Fry with Sambar Powder
- 1.5 cups Plantain chopped
- 1 Onion
- 1 to 1.5 tsp Sambar Powder
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- ¼ tsp Urad Dal
- ¼ tsp Chana Dal
- 1 Sprig Curry leaves
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Wash, peel and chop the plantain into medium cubes.
- In a saucepan, add the cubed plantain, turmeric and water and cook until plantain pieces are tender.
- Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds, chana dal and urad dal and let them splutter.
- Add the curry leaves and sliced onion and fry until translucent.
- Then add the cooked plantain pieces, salt and sambar powder to it and combine.
- Sprinkle a handful of water and mix. Cook without the lid on a low flame for 10 minutes.
- If it sticks to the pan, add little more oil. Stir occasionally.
- Turn off the flame and serve hot with rice or rasam rice.
Nutrition values are estimates only.