Dates Modak with Sorghum Flour / Jowar Kozhukattai Recipe
Preparation & Cooking Time : 40 mins
Makes about 12 -14
Sorghum Flour / Jowar Flour : 1 Cup
Chopped Dates: 1/2 cup
Grated Fresh Coconut : 1/2 Cup
White Sesame Seeds: 2 tbsp
A big pinch of salt
Ghee: 1 tsp
1. Dry roast the sesame seeds on a medium flame till light brown color and allow it to cool. Grind the roasted sesame seeds to a fine powder and set aside.
2. Grind the chopped dates into a paste. In a bowl, add the dates paste, ground sesame seeds and grated fresh coconut and combine very well. Roll this mixture into small round shape balls and keep them aside.
3. Combine the sorghum flour and salt in a wide bowl. Add boiling water little by little to the flour, mix very well with a spatula and make a soft dough.
4. Allow it cool for 3 - 5 minutes then knead it well. The dough should be soft and smooth.
5. Grease your palms with a little ghee.Take a ball of the rice flour dough and flatten it.
6. Place the dates mixture ball in the middle and cover it from all sides towards the middle and shape into a round ball.
7. Place them in a greased idly plates and steam cook them for 10 - 15 minutes. Serve and enjoy!