This is a soft and pulpy mixture of cooked tomatoes and onions, again seasoned with mustard seeds. It has a slight sweet, tangy and spicy taste and goes very well with breakfast dishes like idli, vermicelli dosa, wheat rava pongal, rava pongal, rice rava upma and medu vada. This will stay well for a couple of days if refrigerated. I have already posted tomato onion chutney and today's recipe is another version with coriander leaves.
If you are looking for more chutney recipes, then check out this list of 35+ Chutney Recipes in this blog.
Ulli Tomato Kothimeera Pachadi ~ Tomato Onion Chutney with Cilantro:
Preparation & Cooking Time : 25 mins
Serves: 5 - 6 persons
Tomatoes: 2 large
Coriander Leaves: 1/2 cup
Green Chillies: 4 - 5
Tamarind : 1 inch piece
Powdered Jaggery: 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds: 1/4 tsp
Urad Dal: 1/4 tsp
Dried Red Chilli : 1 or 2
Hing: 1/8 tsp
Oil: 1 tbsp + 1 tsp
1. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a wok. add the green chillies, chopped onions and fry until translucent.
2. Now add the finely chopped tomatoes and tamarind to it and cook till tomatoes are mushy.
3. Finally add the fresh coriander leaves and let it cook for a minute.
4. Remove from the flame and allow it to cool.
5. Add salt and powdered jaggery to the cooked ingredients and grind until smooth. Transfer the chutney into a bowl and set aside.
6. Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds and urad dal and let them splutter.
7. Add the red chillies and hing and fry for a couple of seconds.
8. Pour this seasoned ingredients over the chutney and mix well.
9. Serve with idli, dosa or any snacks like rava vada, poha vada, bread besan toast and onion pakora.