Chintakaya Pappu Recipe / Raw Tamarind Dal Recipe – A Popular Dal Recipe from Andhra Cuisine.
We have so many delicious recipes using Chintakaya / Raw Tamarind in Andhra Cooking. You can make Chintakaya Pappu, Chintakaya Pachadi, Rasam, Chintakaya Pulihora and many more. Here is a simple dal recipe using raw tamarind. It tastes great with rice or roti.
If you are looking for more Indian Dal Recipes then do check Gongura Pappu, Sabut Masoor Dal, South Indian Methi Dal, Gujarati Lachko Dal, Beerakaya Pesara Pappu and Gummadikaya Pappu.
Chintakaya Pappu Recipe / Raw Tamarind Dal Recipe
How to Make Chintakaya Pappu Recipe - A Traditional Andhra Dal made with raw tamarind, lentils and spices.
- 10 Raw Tamarind approx. 2 inch sized tamarind
- ½ cup Toor Dal
- 1 Onion large
- 2 Green Chillies
- 1 Dried Red Chilli
- ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- ½ tsp Urad Dal
- ½ tsp Chana Dal
- ¼ tsp Cumin Seeds
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
- ⅛ tsp Hing
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Red Chilli Powder as needed
- Salt to taste
- Put the rinsed toor dal, turmeric and one cup of water in a pressure cooker and cook for 3 whistles.
- Wash and pressure cook the tamarind with water for 3 whistles. Drain the water and let them cool.
- Peel the cooked tamarind and discard the peel.
- Add water to the peeled tamarind. Squeeze the pulp and extract the juice. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds, chana dal, urad dal and cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Add the chopped green chillies, red chilli, curry leaves and hing and fry for a minute.
- Then add the chopped onion and fry until light golden brown color.
- Add the cooked dal, tamarind juice, salt and red chilli powder to it and let it boil for a couple of minutes.
- Turn off the flame and serve hot with rice or roti.
Did you make a recipe? Follow and Tag @iamharichandana on Instagram so I can see all the Blend with Spices recipes you make. 🙂
You might also love to check these recipes: