What is Dalgona Coffee?
It is a very simple and trending form of coffee, that contains two components at large – milk and whipped coffee. The latter is made with equal quantities of 3 simple ingredients – instant coffee, sugar and water. The beverage derives its name from the Korean toffee Dalgona’s tastes and looks, despite not having anything to do with it! Funny, right? More on that later. If you haven’t heard of this drink over the last couple of months, now is the time to crack the whip on your instant coffee and give it an aesthetically pleasing, peaky and foamy form!
In India, it is known as whipped coffee, beaten coffee. In Greece though, it’s called Frappé Coffee.
What does dalgona coffee taste like?
Like a foamy cold coffee with the perfect blend of sweet and bitter. If you enjoy caffeine-based milkshakes, this one’s right up your ally.
Can I make it without instant powder?
Yes, but it may not turn out as foamy as it should. Give it a try with strong black coffee or decoction. However, ground coffee isn’t a substitute.
Can I reduce the quantity of sugar?
Yes, but you’ll probably find it hard to make those soft peaks that give the beverage its unique look.
What kind of sugar can I use?
All kinds. Palm, Castor, Granulated, Coconut etc.
Can I use jaggery instead of sugar?
Yes but the taste and flavor will most definitely be different. You can still generate the foam though.
Which equipment do I need to use to whip up the coffee?
- An electric hand mixer to make it in a jiffy
- A hand whisk – Can take 5-8 mins but still very effective.
- A jar to add coffee powder, water and sugar and shake for a few minutes.
- A fork – Takes longer and probably the most fun way. Be patient.
What doesn’t work:
- A blender – electric or immersion
How long can it be stored?
You can store the whipped cream in the refrigerator for 2-3 days, but nothing else. Assemble it with milk before serving.
Tips to make the best whipped coffee:
- Don’t use more water than required
- Coffee, water and sugar need to be added in similar quantities.
- Use only hot water. Otherwise, you will not be able to generate the foam.
How to make it vegan?
Swap milk with plant-based milks such as almond milk, soy milk or oat milk.
- Serve it hot or cold: If you want to serve it hot, pour hot milk in a glass and top it with the whipped cream.
- Choc-it-up! Add a tablespoon of cocoa powder to the whipped mixture and mix them before adding on top of the milk
Step by step preparation:
- Take equal portions of all the ingredients except milk in a bowl.
- Make sure the water is hot.
- Mix and start whisking using a hand whisk or fork.
- Continue whisking for about 5-8 minutes or until you get light and fluffy cream.
- When soft peaks start appearing, you know it is done. The soft peaks should hold their shape.
- Add a couple of ice cubes to a glass.
- Fill ⅔rd of the glass with milk.
- Top it with the heated cream. You can also sprinkle some cinnamon powder on the top.
Few more beverages on the blog:
- Mango Blueberry Smoothie
- Pista Lassi
- Nungu Paal
- Mango Gulkand Lassi
- Iced Lemon Tea with Basil
- Iced Lemon Tea
How to make dalgona coffee recipe video below:
Dalgona Coffee Recipe or Whipped Coffee Recipe
- 2 tbsp Instant Coffee Powder
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp Water
- 1 cup Milk (or as needed)
- Combine instant coffee powder, sugar and hot water in a bowl and whisk for about 5 minutes or until soft peaks form.
- Add ice cubes to a serving glass and fill ⅔rd of it with milk.
- Fill the rest of the glass with prepared coffee cream.
Nutrition values are estimates only.