Onion Kuzhambu or Vengaya Kulambu – An easy South Indian side dish using onions and sambar powder.
Onion Kulambu is a super quick and delicious side dish for rice. This is an easier version of making the onion kozhambu without any grinding. This can be served with rice, pongal, idli or dosa.
Few More South Indian Recipes on the blog:
- Sweet Potato Kuzhambu
- Kathirikai Rasavangi
- Beetroot Pachadi
- Vellarikka Kichadi
- Vendakka Thoran
- Keerai Sambar
- Mulai Keerai Kootu
- Gongura Pulusu Kura
How to Make Easy Onion Kulambu Recipe below:
Easy Onion Kozhumbu or Vengaya Kulambu Recipe
- 1.5 cup Onion sliced
- 3 to 4 tsp Sambar Powder
- 1 to 2 tsp Jaggery powdered
- Small lemon sized tamarind approx. 1 tbsp
- ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- ¼ tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 1 tsp Chana Dal
- ⅛ tsp Hing
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- A big pinch of Turmeric Powder
- A few Curry Leaves
- Soak the tamarind in water for 10 – 15 minutes. Squeeze the extract from tamarind and set aside. Discard the pulp.
- Heat oil in a vessel and add the mustard seeds and chana dal. Once they start to splutter, add the fenugreek seeds, curry leaves and hing and saute for a couple of seconds.
- Add the sliced onions and fry until they are transparent.
- Add turmeric, sambar powder, 2 cups of tamarind extract, jaggery and salt to it.
- Cover and cook over a medium flame until the onions are soft.
- When the gravy thickens, remove it from the heat.
- Serve hot with rice.