If you are looking for more South Indian recipes then do check Sweet Potato Kuzhambu, Kathirikai Rasavangi, Avial, Beetroot Pachadi, Vellarikka Kichadi, Vendakka Thoran, Keerai Sambar, Kanchipuram Upma and Mulai Keerai Kootu.
Onion Kuzhambu / Tamilnadu Style Onion Tamarind Gravy
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook time: 15 mins | Serves: 4
Author:Hari Chandana P
Cuisine: South Indian
Recipe type: Side dish
- 1.5 cup Onion, sliced
- 3 – 4 tsp Sambar Powder
- 1 – 2 tsp Jaggery, powdered
- Small lemon sized tamarind (approx. 1 tbsp)
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 1 tsp Chana Dal
- 1/8 tsp Hing
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- A big pinch of Turmeric Powder
- A few Curry Leaves
- Soak the tamarind in water for 10 – 15 minutes. Squeeze the extract from tamarind and set aside. Discard the pulp.
- Heat oil in a vessel and add the mustard seeds and chana dal. Once they start to splutter, add the fenugreek seeds, curry leaves and hing and saute for a couple of seconds.
- Add the sliced onions and fry until they are transparent.
- Add turmeric, sambar powder, 2 cups of tamarind extract, jaggery and salt to it.
- Cover and cook over a medium flame until the onions are soft.
- When the gravy thickens, remove it from the heat.
- Serve hot with rice.
You might also like to check these recipes: