Snake Gourd and Sesame Seeds Chutney
Hari Chandana P South Indian Side Dish
Prep Time: 5 mins | Cook time: 15 mins | Serves: 2
- 1 cup Snake Gourd, chopped
- 1 tbsp Sesame Seeds
- 1/2 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 4 – 5 Dried Red Chillies
- 1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Urad Dal
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 + 1 tsp Oil
- Marble sized Tamarind ball
- A pinch of Fenugreek Seeds
- A few Curry Leaves
- Salt to taste
- Soak the tamarind in water and set aside.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan. Add the coriander seeds and fenugreek seeds. Fry them until light golden brown.
- Add the red chillies and sesame seeds to it and fry for a couple of minutes or until light golden color. Take them out of the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add another teaspoon of oil. Add the chopped snake gourd and turmeric and saute for a minute.
- Sprinkle a little water, mix well and cover with a lid. Let it cook completely.
- Remove from the heat and allow it to cool.
- Grind the coriander seeds and sesame seeds mixture to a powder. Add the cooked snake gourd along with tamarind and salt. Grind into a coarse paste.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan for seasoning. Add the mustard seeds, urad dal and cumin seeds. When they stop popping, add the curry leaves and stir for a couple of seconds.
- Pour this over the ground mixture and mix well.
- Serve with rice, Wheat rava pongal, idli, rice rava upma, vermicelli dosa or even idiyappam.
You might also like to check these recipes: