Potlakaya Perugu Pachadi – One of the easy and healthy snake gourd or potlakaya dishes. Goes well with rice or roti
What is Perugu Pachadi?
Perugu Pachadi is a yogurt-based side dish from Andhra Pradesh. Cooked or sauteed vegetables and spices are added to the dish. The most commonly used vegetables are snake gourd, tomatoes, cucumber, bottle gourd, okra, plantains and radishes.
If you are looking for more perugu pachadi varieties, check the below dishes:
- Mullangi Perugu Pachadi
- Sorakaya Perugu Pachadi
- Tomato Perugu Pachadi
- Bendakaya Perugu Pachadi
- Aratikaya Perugu Pachadi
What are the ingredients of Potlakaya Perugu Pachadi?
Potlakaya perugu pachadi is one of the classic variations of perugu pachadi. It is made with sliced snake gourd, yogurt, ginger, green chillies, mustard seeds and curry leaves.
How do you serve it?
It is a perfect and comforting side dish for hot steaming rice. However, you can also serve it with roti or Indian flatbread.
Can I reheat perugu pachadi?
No, you shouldn’t reheat the prepared perugu pachadi. Make sure the cooked snake gourd is at room temperature before adding it to yogurt. Do not heat it again once you combined both snake gourd and yogurt to avoid curdling.
How long can I store this?
It keeps well for a day in the refrigerator.
Step by step preparation:
- Wash and slice the snake gourd. Measure them and set aside.
- Chop the ginger and green chillies into small pieces and set aside.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal and cumin seeds to it and let them splutter.
- When they are browned, add the finely chopped or grated ginger and chillies to it. Saute for a few seconds.
- Add a sprig of fresh or dry curry leaves and broken red chilli to the pan and continue frying for another few seconds.
- Add the sliced snake gourd, salt and turmeric powder.
- Saute them for a minute and sprinkle a little water.
- Cover the pan and cook until they are soft.
- When they are soft, turn off the heat and let it cool completely.
- Combine the cooled snake gourd mixture and yogurt in a bowl.
- Adjust the salt.
- Serve with hot steamed rice or roti.
Few More Traditional Andhra Recipes:
- Potlakaya Ulli Karam
- Gutti Vankaya Ulli Karam
- Aloo Allam Pachimirchi Koora
- Kalchina Aratikaya Koora
- Gutti Vankaya Koora Podi
- Dondakaya Kobbari Karam
- Ponnaganti Majjiga Pulusu
- Gongura Pulusu Kura
How to Make Potlakaya Perugu Pachadi Recipe Video below:
Potlakaya Perugu Pachadi Recipe - Snake Gourd Yogurt Chutney
- 1 cup Snake Gourd sliced
- 1 cup Fresh Yogurt
- 1 tsp Grated Ginger
- 1-2 units Green Chillies finely chopped
- ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- ¼ tsp Urad Dal
- ¼ tsp Chana Dal
- ¼ tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 unit Dried Red Chilli
- 1 Sprig of Curry Leaves
- A big pinch of Turmeric Powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp Oil
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds, chana dal and urad dal and let them splutter.
- Add the grated or finely chopped ginger and chopped chillies to it and fry for a few seconds.
- Then add curry leaves and broken red chilli and saute for a few seconds.
- Add the sliced snake gourd, turmeric and salt and saute for a minute.
- Sprinkle a little water and cover with a lid. Let it cook until the pieces are tender.
- Remove from the flame and let it cool completely.
- Combine the cooked snake gourd mixture and yogurt in a bowl and adjust the salt.
- Serve with rice or roti.
Nutrition values are estimates only.