If you are looking for more sambar recipes then do check Karamani Sambar, Mango Sambar, Amaranth Leaves Sambar, Moong Dal Drumstick Sambar and Mullangi Sambar.
|Brinjal Sambar and Vazhakkai Podimas|
Vankaya Sambar / Brinjal Sambar Recipe Hari Chandana PIndianMain
Prep Time: 5 mins | Cook time: 20 mins | Serves: 4
- 4 medium sized brinjals or 6-8 baby brinjals
- 1 medium sized Onion
- 1 medium sized Tomato
- Marble sized tamarind ball
- 1 tbsp Sambar Powder
- 1 - 2 tsp Jaggery, powdered (optional)
- Red Chlli Powder as needed
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
- A pinch of hing
- 2 tsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- Soak the tamarind in water for sometime. Squeeze and extract the juice from tamarind. Keep it aside.
- Wash the toor dal and add turmeric and 1/2 cup of water to it. Pressure cook it for 3 - 4 whistles. Mash the cooked dal and set aside.
- Add the chopped onion, chopped tomato, brinjal pieces and water in a vessel. Cover with a lid and cook the vegetables until tender.
- Add the mashed toor dal, sambar powder, salt, jaggery, red chilli powder, tamarind extract and water (adjust to desired consistency) to the vegetables.
- Allow the sambar to boil and thicken.
- Heat oil in a pan for seasoning. Add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Then add the hing and curry leaves. Add this to the sambar and combine well.
- Serve hot with rice.