Healthy, yummy and super simple chocolate-coated fox nuts or phool makhana. You will need 2 ingredients and 15 minutes to prepare this healthy snack.
What is Chocolate Makhana?
Chocolate makhana is nothing but roasted phool makhana coated with melted dark chocolate. You only need 2 ingredients to make this delicious snack at home.
Phool makhana is also known as fox nuts and puffed lotus seeds. If you are looking for popcorn alternatives, you can replace them with makhana.
What is the best chocolate?
I have used semi-sweet dark chocolate in this recipe. However, you can also use milk chocolate or anything.
Can I use choco chips?
Absolutely, replace the chopped dark chocolate with the same amount of choco chips.
They are so good as an evening snack.
Step by step preparation:
- Dry roast the foxnuts over a low flame for about 5 minutes or till they become crispy. Always roast on a low flame and stir constantly to ensure even roasting and prevent burning.
- Try to crush the nuts to test the doneness.
- Once they are roasted well, keep them aside to cool completely.
- Line a baking sheet / tray / plate with parchment paper and keep it aside.
- I am using the double boiler method to melt the chocolate.
- Roughly chop and measure the dark chocolate.
- Heat some water in a pan or vessel over low heat and place a heat resistant bowl on top of the water pot.
- Add the measured chocolate into the top bowl and keep stirring to melt it completely.
- Once it is melted and smooth, remove the bowl from heat.
- Do not overcook it.
- Add the roasted nuts immediately.
- Mix until well coated.
- Using a fork, transfer them to the parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Make sure you separate them so they don’t stick together.
- Place it in the refrigerator until set.
- Peel them off the paper and store them in the refrigerator for a week.
Few more snack recipes you’ll love:
- Roasted Makhana
- Frozen Yogurt Covered Blueberries
- Peanut Butter Banana Yogurt Popsicles
- Quinoa Banana Almond Muffin
- Palak Pakoda
- Veg Bread Pizza
- Onion Kachori
How to make chocolate covered makhana recipe video below:
Chocolate Makhana Recipe
- 1 cup Phool Makhana / Fox Nuts / Popped Lotus Seeds
- 1/4 cup Dark Chocolate
- Dry roast the phool makhana on a low flame till they become crispy.
- Let them cool completely.
- To melt the chocolate, heat some water in a saucepan and place a heat resistant bowl on top. Add chopped chocolate into the bowl.
- Keep stirring and melt the chocolate completely.
- Remove the bowl from heat and add the roasted makhana to it.
- Mix it well and arrange them on a lined baking sheet or tray. Separate them so they don't stick together.
- Refrigerate it until set.
- Once they are set, peel them off the paper and serve.