Onion Kuzhambu / Tamilnadu Style Onion Tamarind Gravy
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook time: 15 mins | Serves: 4
Author:Hari Chandana P
Cuisine: South Indian
Recipe type: Side dish
- 1.5 cup Onion, sliced
- 3 - 4 tsp Sambar Powder
- 1 - 2 tsp Jaggery, powdered
- Small lemon sized tamarind (approx. 1 tbsp)
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 1 tsp Chana Dal
- 1/8 tsp Hing
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- A big pinch of Turmeric Powder
- A few Curry Leaves
- Soak the tamarind in water for 10 - 15 minutes. Squeeze the extract from tamarind and set aside. Discard the pulp.
- Heat oil in a vessel and add the mustard seeds and chana dal. Once they start to splutter, add the fenugreek seeds, curry leaves and hing and saute for a couple of seconds.
- Add the sliced onions and fry until they are transparent.
- Add turmeric, sambar powder, 2 cups of tamarind extract, jaggery and salt to it.
- Cover and cook over a medium flame until the onions are soft.
- When the gravy thickens, remove it from the heat.
- Serve hot with rice.