If you are looking for Diwali special sweets recipes then do check Khoya Besan Laddu, Tambittu, Suji Kakara Pitha, Bread Rasmalai, Chocolate Burfi, Rasgulla, Custard Powder Halwa, Dates Peanut Ladoo, Besan Ka Halwa and Vermicelli Ladoo.
And here’s a full list of Diwali Recipes
Khoya / Mawa Gulab Jamuns Recipe
Hari Chandana PIndianDessert
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook time: 20 mins | Makes: 17 – 20
For the Jamuns:
- 1 cup Unsweetened Khoya / Kova, crumbled
- 2.5 tbsp Plain Flour / Maida
- ⅛ tsp Baking Soda
- A pinch of Cardamom Powder
- Oil / Ghee for deep frying
For the Sugar Syrup:
- 2 cups Sugar
- 2 cups Water
- ¼ tsp Cardamom Powder
- A few strands of Saffron (optional)
- 2 drops of Rose Water (optional)
- If you are using frozen khoya, bring it to room temperature.
- In a mixing bowl, add the khoya and crumble it well.
- Then add the baking soda and maida and combine well.
- Sprinkle a little water and make a smooth and firm dough. Don’t knead the dough.
- Cover it and set aside.
- To make the sugar syrup, combine the water, sugar, cardamom powder and saffron in a bowl and stir until sugar dissolves completely.
- Bring it to a boil for 7 – 8 minutes. Turn off the flame and add rose water if using.
- Keep it aside.
- The syrup should not be too hot or cold when you add the fried jamuns to it.
- Heat oil in a pan for deep frying the jamuns.
- Meanwhile divide the dough into equal sized balls and make smooth balls without any wide cracks.
- Don’t apply pressure while making the balls. Just roll them softly into round balls. Cover and set aside.
- When the oil is hot (not smoking hot) enough to fry the jamuns, reduce the flame to very low.
- Slowly drop the dough balls into the hot oil and deep fry them until deep brown color (refer the image).
- Don’t overcrowd, fry a few at a time.
- Keep rolling the jamuns gently while frying for even browning.
- Drain in kitchen towel and immediately drop them into the hot sugar syrup.
- Let them soak in the syrup for 3 – 4 hours.
- Serve warm or cold.
You might also like to check these recipes: